Monday 1 March 2010

Michael The Phantom

After writing my last blog piece I stumbled over this interview with Andrew Lloyd Webber talking about Michael Jackson:

'I first met Michael when he came to see Phantom of the Opera in New York when we'd just opened in 1988. He was clearly interested in the piece. He saw it several times and used to come backstage, often without the entourage that followed him around in later life.

I think the story got to him. I think he had a connection with the lonely, tortured musician. He found the idea of somebody working through music and having a girl as a muse very intriguing – and he loved that there was illusion in the show.

Michael became interested in playing The Phantom himself, in a movie version of the show. We talked about it a lot, but we'd only just opened and, at the time, I felt that it was too early for it to become a film. I felt his interest in Phantom was because he was interested in doing something theatrical himself.'

Source: http://frecklesandmyfairytale.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment